You need this lasagna recipe in your collection! It is perfect for Sunday dinners, holidays, or even to make and give as a gift. It is a little more time consuming with a few more ingredients than a more basic recipe, but it is so worth it. Trust the process!
The Ultimate Lasagna RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
1 lb Holston Beef Co. Ground Beef
1 lb Holston Beef Co. Ground Sausage or Ground Italian Sausage
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 small onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup red wine
3.5-4 cups Beef Stock
1 28 oz can peeled whole tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
Homemade Lasagna Noodles or Oven Ready Flat Lasagna Noodles (Barilla)
2 packages of Fresh sliced mozzarella cheese.
- White Sauce
5 tbsp Butter
5 tbsp All Purpose Flour
4 cups Whole Milk
1/2 tbsp Nutmeg
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch Oven, sauté carrots, celery and onions in olive oil for about 8 minutes, add garlic and cook until all vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Add tomato paste and mix together.
- Add 1 cup of red wine and cook until the mixture has reduced by half, somewhere between 5-10 minutes. The picture below shows what the mixture should look like after it has reduced.
- Add 1 can of peeled tomatoes and mash with a mixing spoon to break up the tomatoes.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Add 2 cups of Beef Stock and bring to heavy simmer.
- Cook beef & sausage in a separate skillet, drain grease and add meat to the red sauce.
- Let simmer uncovered for around 1 hr and add the rest of the beef stock to the sauce. Continue to simmer for 1-1.5 hrs.
- Making Your White Sauce
- Once your meat sauce has simmered for 2.5-3 hrs, make your white sauce. Melt butter in a large skillet until bubbling.
- Add in flour 1 tbsp at a time, making sure to whisk constantly to get a smooth mixture.
- Let cook for about 1 minute, it will begin to thicken.
- Turn your heat down to Medium Low. Add the milk 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly.
- Add nutmeg and parmesan and stir to melt cheese.
- Season with salt & pepper to your liking.
- Let cook on Low heat for a few minutes, whisking occasionally until it has thickened to the point where it will coat a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Lasagna Noodles
- This step is totally optional - if you can make fresh lasagna noodles they are always delicious. However, I personally use the Oven Ready flat lasagna noodles for this recipe, they are a huge time saver and turn out well every time. They require no prep and are ready to use right out of the box. I like these because the absorb the liquid that cooks out of the sauce as it bakes in the oven better than a boiled noodle.
- Assembling Your Lasagna
- Coat the bottom of your casserole dish with a thin layer of meat sauce.
- Add a layer of your noodles on top of sauce (3-4 noodle sheets.)
- Add a thicker layer of meat sauce, then ladle the white sauce on top.
- Spread around 9 slices of mozzarella on top of sauce mixture.
- Repeat these steps until you have reached the top of your casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr and 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15-25 minutes.
- Let sit for around 20-25 minutes after removing from oven, this will help to reabsorb some of the liquid that cooks out of the sauce and thicken the lasagna.
- Serve with garlic bread and Enjoy!